Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Six and a Half Years Later

Six and a half years later...

...And I'm still alive. Ask my family, and they will tell you that six and a half years ago, there was no knowing if I would live through a deadly, devastating disease. A disease that, though treatable, often goes unchecked or inappropriately treated.

Eating disorders.

I am a bulimic. I will be a bulimic for the rest of my life. I'm in recovery, and I have been for over 6 years. Bulimia ruled for four years of my life, and it could've very easily taken the rest of it. If it wasn't for the actions of the family that loves me, I could possibly still be struggling with it. Or dead.

This week is National Eating Disorders Awareness week. This week is important, because awareness is key in the fight against eating disorders. There are so many misunderstandings and misconceptions about eating disorders. Very few sufferers of eating disorders get any form of treatment at all, and a small percentage of those people get the appropriate treatment. I am extremely fortunate that I was able to get the treatment at Avalon Hills that I needed to put me into recovery.

With awareness, we can get more people properly diagnosed and treated. With awareness, we can save lives.

Six and a half years ago, I took the first step on my journey to being treated. I am so glad I did. With awareness, we can give others the life changing treatment I had.

No comments:

Post a Comment