Sunday, June 17, 2012

My Best Friend

Saying, "I married my best friend," is very cliched. I mean, everybody says that. Everybody.

So, let's think about it. What qualities do you look for in a good friend? Or, I should say, what qualities do I look for in a friend, because it's my life I'm writing about after all. But, you all can play along.

First and foremost, I am attracted to people who share my sense of humor. It's sick and twisted, intelligent, ironic, occasionally mature themed, and perhaps 5-6 degrees off center. The people who share this off-beat sense of humor are people I tend to connect to very quickly. People who don't laugh at my jokes, well, I can live without!

Intelligence ranks high with me. I have a very low tolerance for stupid people, very, very low. It's not like I hang out with geniuses all day, I don't, but people of a similar intelligence level as myself I find more likeable.

Belief systems are very important, although this does not in any way confine me to people who are LDS. In fact, there are people who are LDS who I feel do not share the same belief system of myself AT ALL! Basically, I believe that if people are kind to others, who constantly strive to better themselves, and who consistently make efforts to make the world we live in a better place, those people will be rewarded in the next life. Whether they worship Buddah, read the Talmut, or worship outside of an organized religion. People who are judgmental, who are cruel, who don't use what they have to help people in need, these people are not my friends.

I like people who share my common interests, but I also like people who have new interests to share. Sometimes they stick, sometimes they don't, but I always enjoy trying new things! (And, I like people who like to try new things!)

Finally, there is loyalty. A person who will stand by you no matter what. Someone who is your friend when you laugh, and when you cry. When the going get's rough, your true friends show!

So, how does Eric stack up?

Sense of humor? Triple check! He always makes me laugh. He e-mails me jokes, most of which I just roll my eyes at, all of which I laugh at. He loves it when I make jokes too. The other thing I love is that when either of us tries out a joke that isn't funny, we are honest with each other, we say, 'That joke SUCKS!' and offer advice on how to fix it!

Intelligence? Eric and I often have intellectual debates that end with one or the other (or both) of us Googling the answer. We are about 50/50. The best part is, he never rubs it in my face when I'm wrong, and I do the same for him. Because it's not about who is right or wrong, it's all about the conversation. And, we usually work in some jokes!

Belief system? We are so sympatico on that one! We occasionally have deep, philosophical conversations. During these talks, we often discover that we believe the same thing, we just call it something different!

Interests? Many common interests that we've shared from day one. We both love the outdoors, camping, hiking, National Parks. We also both love spicy food, dogs, cuddling on the couch, sushi and BYU sports. (BYU basketball+Jimmer Fredette+sushi=BEST.FIRST.DATE.EVER!) Eric has introduced me to riding motorcycles, Futurama, and bluegrass concerts. I have introduced him to Indian food, Monk, and the symphony. Together, we discovered a love of dressing up our 8lb dog.

Loyalty? Who can count how many times he's kissed away my tears, listened to me vent, cried with me? He has stuck with me when I've been tired and hungry and cranky. He is often the first to hear of my successes, as well as my failures. He loves me even when I'm driving him crazy!

So, can I say that Eric is my best friend? Absolutely, unequivocally, and unconditionally YES.

I married my best friend, and I love him more than the world!


Isn't he SEXY?! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment