Sunday, June 3, 2012

Familie, 家庭, Familia, Cемья, No Matter How You Say It...

...love is what you hear.

My family is large. Big Mormon clan on one side, Big Southern family on the other.

My family is talented. I have one aunt and one uncle who went to Grad School, as of June 21 both of my parents have Bachelor's Degrees. I have an aunt who is a musician, an uncle who is a chef AND an electrician, the computer guy, the hairstylist and jewelery artist. Both of my mom's parents had Bachelor's Degrees in English, hence the family wide English snobbery. My other grandpa is a retired train conductor who dabbles in linguistics and music in his spare time. And by "dabbles" I mean he speaks 6-7 languages FLUENTLY and COMPOSES music that is performed by the local symphony. His wife is the most incredible craftswoman whose works of art warm my toes and astound my eyes, not to mention being an accomplished and authentic Mexican chef. My other grandma is a Sheriff (cool, huh?) and makes a brisket that turns into hot liquid brisket juice in your mouth, as well as a lot of other delicious and extremely fattening Southern fare. (We're talking cheesy grits, collard greens, fried okra, the works!) I have a little sister who plays the cello beautifully and is the best hostess the Cracker Barrel Corporation has ever seen, as well as being a future Stay at Home Mom, joining the ranks of millions of proud, HARD working women! (Anyone who says stay at home moms aren't hard workers can eat rocks and die! Mini-soapbox over.) My other sister plays the guitar, viola, and piano, as well as sings and dances. My baby brother is 10, and probably the most intelligent person I know!

 My family has history. On the one side, pioneers who settled a desert, who buried countless children, and who still held firm to their faith so that we could know about it today. On the other side, I am a descendant of slaves who worked outrageous hours in the hot sun in exchange for being penned up like cattle, who were ripped away from their husbands and wives and children, and who fought for their freedom and won!

My family is strong. We stick together. My family is powerful. We can move mountains if we tried.

Basically, my family is AWESOME!

I was blessed, extremely blessed, into marrying into a family who is equally talented, strong, powerful, and has an amazing shared history. My father in law is the 2nd of 3 generations of doctors. My sister in law has a Bachelor's Degree in Recreation Therapy and is the most energetic, outgoing person I know, and her husband is THE NICEST GUY (he changed the oil in my car! Thanks Nate!) and a businessman/draftsman by trade. My brother in law just graduated from Pharmacy School, his wife is a stay at home mom to their three beautiful kids (see soapbox above!). My other sister in law is THE MOST incredible dancer (and I've, sadly, never seen her perform live, just videos) and her husband is a mathematical genius and an incredible musician.

And this leaves Eric and me.

My husband has a Bachelor's Degree in Psychology. He is the funniest man you will ever meet, unless you've had the opportunity to meet Jim Carrey in person, in which case he is the second funniest man you will ever meet. He grows an amazing red beard, which he attends to with love and tenderness (I've seen it). He always takes the dog out in the morning so I can sleep in, he picks up dog poop even though it makes him make incredibly loud and disturbing vomiting sounds (which means he will be willing to change diapers someday?). He loves Stephen King, there are two shelves going on one whole bookshelf of Stephen King in our house. He loves music, all kinds. I've heard him go from Reggae, to Heavy Metal, to Johnny Cash, to Classic Rock, to Folk Music, to Death Metal, to Bluegrass in one car trip. He is the most loving, supportive, attractive man I have ever met, hence why I married him.

I have an Associate's Degree in Medical Specialties, and I work as a Medical Assistant for Family Practice. Ask anyone and they will tell you I LOVE my job, and I am extremely proud of it. I am currently in my second semester of pre-requisites for Nursing School, and I hope to apply for it Fall 2013/Spring 2014. I want to get my Bachelor's Degree in Nursing, then eventually go back and become a Nurse Midwife. I am an excellent cook (how can I help it, with 3 grandmothers who are incredible cooks?), I love to sing, act, and dance (in that order), I listen to talk radio all day every day and I talk back to it. I'm passionate about books, that's why there are 3 bookshelves overflowing in our apartment and I have a Kindle (I imagine sometimes how many books we would have if I didn't have the Kindle, then I stop because it is too frightening!) I read every night before I go to bed. I love writing, and I dream of someday publishing my works.

How could I not want to bring a child into this eclectic, intelligent, fabulous melting pot that is our family?



(I would love to be here today to announce a new baby Juchau, unfortunately that is not the case. Maybe in the near future. We can only hope. And have sex. :))

No comments:

Post a Comment